Now that you've made the switch to our Eco-Friendly Dental Kit which includes biodegradable bamboo toothbrushes and refillable eco-friendly dental floss, you're ready to make the next change, plastic-free toothpaste! Now I've tried many of the trending zero-waste toothpastes/toothtabs/etc, and while they are convenient, they can be on the pricier side.
Here's a simple at-home recipe to make your own toothpaste, save some money, and help our Mother Earth.
DIY Toothpaste Ingredients:
- 2 Heaping Tablespoons Coconut Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Baking Soda
- 15-20 Drops Peppermint Essential Oil (use any flavor/quantity you like)
- Make it in the jar you plan to use!
- Warm coconut oil a little so its mixable- (not completely melted is better)
- Throw everything together & mix. It's that EASY!
- Once you've made it a few times, and know the consistency you like, there's no need to measure.
- Amount of essential oil varies by taste
- You can also add in stevia or xylitol if you prefer a sweeter taste (completely optional)
It is estimated that 400 million toothpaste tubes are thrown away each year in the U.S. alone!! Making this easy, cheap, and simple swap could save an enormous amount of plastic from polluting our planet.
Disclaimer: Recipes on MeMotherEarth have not been tested in a lab. Please consult your health care provider if you are unsure and use your own discretion when making these products at home.