As we start the new year, it's important to consider ways we can make a positive impact on the environment. Here are 10 sustainable actions you can take to make a difference in the coming year:
1. Reduce your meat consumption: Livestock farming is a major contributor to greenhouse gas emissions, deforestation, and water pollution (we won't even get into how cruel it is). Consider reducing your meat intake and opting for plant-based alternatives instead. It doesn't have to be all or nothing, but by switching to meatless Mondays or participating in Veganuary, you are making a positive impact on both your body and our planet.
2. Ditch single-use plastics: Single-use plastics, such as straws, plastic bags, and water bottles, are a major contributor to ocean pollution. Bring your own reusables daily or keep a car kit, and you'll reduce so much waste over time. Start with our collapsible straw and cutlery set or stainless steel water bottle and go from there.
3. Use public transportation, carpool, walk or bike (if the weather permits!): Cars are a major source of greenhouse gas emissions, and not everyone can afford an electric car. Utilizing public transportation, biking, or carpooling can reduce your carbon footprint and you may find it's not so difficult.
4. Support sustainable fashion or thrift: The fashion industry is a major contributor to water pollution and waste. Support sustainable fashion brands that use eco-friendly materials and ethical production methods. If that isn't accessible to you, after all, sustainable fashion costs more, shop secondhand! Thrift stores, vintage shops or with online apps like Poshmark or Facebook marketplace are great places to start.
5. Switch to energy-efficient lightbulbs: LEDs use significantly less energy than traditional incandescent bulbs, which results in lower electricity bills and a reduced carbon footprint. They also last 25x times longer, reducing waste from their short-lived counterparts.
6. Plant a tree: Trees absorb carbon dioxide and release oxygen, making them an important tool in fighting climate change. Planting a tree in your yard or community is a simple and easy way to make a positive impact.
7. Use less water: Water is a precious resource and many areas of the world face water shortages. Try to use less water by taking shorter showers, turning off the tap when brushing your teeth, and fixing any leaks.
8. Shop at farmers' markets: Buying locally grown produce reduces the carbon emissions associated with transportation and supports small farmers in your community.
9. Start to compost: Composting helps to reduce the amount of organic waste that ends up in landfills, where it produces methane, a potent greenhouse gas. It also greatly improves soil health, and the rich soil it creates can be used in gardens, lawns, and even indoor plants. Local to Las Vegas? We use this composting service.
10. Be mindful of your consumption: One of the most sustainable actions you can take is to be mindful of the things you buy and consume. Do you really need that new outfit or gadget? Can you borrow or buy used instead? By shopping with our dollars with sustainable brands like Me Mother Earth, you are casting a vote for the world you want to live in.
By making small changes in our daily lives, we can all make a big difference in the fight against climate change. Change begins with ME - Me Mother Earth